Ordering archives in advance
Can I order archives in advance of my visit?
Only archives stored off-site may be ordered in advance. Only reader’s with a reader’s ticket number may order archives in advance of a visit.
Advance orders will only be taken where the correct reference code is known. These should be sent to email@example.com at least 3 working days in advance.
A maximum of six items can be ordered from off-site storage at any one time. Archives stored on-site will be produced on the day of your visit.
What material is held off-site?
In general, the following material is stored off-site and can be ordered in advance if the correct reference code is known:
- Early court records up to and including the mid-1970s.
- Testamentary records (wills) prior to 1975.
- Business records.
- OPW series 1 and 2 (Secretariat and Accounts Branch).
- Early files from the Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA/1, DFA/2/ DFA/3 and DFA/5 series).
- All departmental records accessioned in 2015, 2016, 2017 and 2018 (1985–1988).
Due to ongoing development works in the National Archives, this list is subject to change. Please consult the website for regular updates.
If you are unsure if material is held off-site please email firstname.lastname@example.org.