We hold many records of relevance to genealogy and visitors intending to research their family trees should find the following sources of interest and assistance. The sources listed are a selection of the most frequently asked-about and consulted genealogy records in the NAI and for a more comprehensive list of our records, please consult Archives held in the National Archives in the Research menu.
Census returns for the 19th century, 1901 and 1911, the Tithe Applotment Books, will calendars and Soldiers’ Wills listed below can be searched on our genealogy website.
- Births, marriages and deaths
- Census returns - 19th and early 20th-century censuses online
- Tithe Applotment Books - Tithe Applotment Books online - and the Primary (Griffith) Valuation
- Wills and testamentary records
- Soldiers’ Wills
- Ireland-Australia transportation records (1791–1853)
- Estate records
- Private source records
- Parish records and marriage licences
- Poor Law/Board of Guardian/workhouse records
Put our record collections in their geographical context using this Ordnance Survey map of Ireland.