There are many record series in the National Archives which are of relevance to genealogy and visitors intending to research their family trees will find the following sources of interest and assistance. The selected series descriptions are just a sample of the most frequently consulted genealogy sources and for a more comprehensive list of our records, please consult Archives held in the National Archives in the Research section.
The census returns for 1901 and 1911, Tithe Applotment Books, will calendars and Soldiers’ Wills listed below can also be searched on the National Archives genealogy website.
- Census returns - 1901 and 1911 censuses online
- Tithe Applotment Books – Tithe Applotment Books online – and the Primary (Griffith) Valuation
- Wills and testamentary records - testamentary calendars available in the Reading Room can be viewed online for the years 1858-1920 and 1923-1982 (please consult the Will calendar introduction and the Will calendar search guide for information on conducting a search)
- Soldiers’ wills
- Ireland-Australia transportation records (1791–1853)
- Estate records
- Private source records
- Parish records and marriage licences
Put our record collections in their geographical context using this Ordnance Survey map of Ireland.